Leander Economic Development
Economic Development Manager: Evan Milliorn
201 North Brushy, Leander, Texas 78641
The first school in Leander was created in 1855.
July 17, 1882 — As the railroad expanded north from Austin, city lots were sold to build homes and businesses, marking the birth of a town the City of Leander, originally called Bagdad.
Residential-style architecture is a prominent feature of Old Town Leander, and the 123-year-old Davis House is the only original two-story house still standing in the district.
The Leander Independent School District has grown into the largest school district in Williamson County and the fastest growing district in the state of Texas.
In Leander 4.40% of the population is Black or African American.
Leander lies on the northeast edge of Texas’ Hill Country, roughly ten miles due west of Interstate 35 on US 183, just north of Austin TX. Since 2000, the community has grown from 7,600 residents to more than 30,000 in 2010. This makes Leander the 37th fastest growing City in the United States (US Census Bureau, 2009).
Affordability and quality schools have been the historical drivers for the community’s growth. Single-family residential homes run the gamut from first-time to executive styled living. The Leander Independent School District’s (LISD) 37 campuses provide a varied curriculum. This gives more than 30,000 students a great start to their future.
Total Population within 15 miles
Looking For More Information?